With in excess of 11 years experience in building and developing websites there aren't many questions we haven't heard before. We have added this page to our website to try and help you clear up some of the questions that you may have before you start to consider how to move forward. We are more than happy to speak to you about any question you may have, even if it is in this list, but this may just go someway towards getting your own mind clear on what we do and how we can help you moving forward.
How much does a website cost?
This probably the most often asked question either verbally or non-verbally. As such it is good to get this one out of the way early so we both know and understand where we are coming from. Radiant Web have no fixed price to produce a website for our clients. However, we do have a range of prices that cover the work we have undertaken to date. As a guide a starter website with video, text and images is going to cost approximately £1,000. As you start adding more content and complexity to the site then the price will rise. To date, the most expensive website we have created was billed out at just over £15,000.
Well it isn't really a question, but it is something that I hear fairly often. The reality is that if you wanted to, you could get a website built for free. There are a number of free website builders available online and you can put together your own website and have it up and running for considerably less than the figures I have mentioned above. However, I would ask you two questions:
1. Do you honestly believe that these 'cheap' website options deliver products that are as robust and capable?
2. Will these companies give you the back up and support you need so that you can focus on your business and growing it rather than worrying about how to swap an image on your contact us page?
3. Your website should be your best performing business asset, working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and if appropriate, visible all over the world. Your website has significant potential to help you meet and exceed your business targets. On this basis, why would you entrust such a valuable asset to a business that shows no indication of being able to support you as you move forward?
4. How do you price your products and services? We all know the dangers in entering a price war and the long term implications it has for your business, so why do it with your website.
At the end of the day, the simple fact is that you get what you pay for. I know that websites that are built by Radiant Web over deliver on value and the support we offer ensures that you can focus on what you do best which is running your business. It is, of course, your decision, but make it with your eyes open rather than blinkered into saving every last pound on something that is so valuable.
Can you help me get my domain name?
Your domain name is the equivalent to the front door key to a bricks and mortar building. We will obviously help and advise you if you want us to, but you should own your domain name and it should be in your account, not ours and not anybody else that has 'helped' you get started. Relationships may be all rosy at the start, but if something goes wrong and you fall out with your business partner or mentor and he walks away with the domain name to your business, you will have a significant issue to sort out.
What about hosting? How and Where?
Radiant Web can most definitely assist you in getting suitable hosting for your website. Again, this is another area where getting it right i important. In essence there are three options when it comes to hosting:
1. Shared Server - The cheapest option but also the one that potentially leaves your website most vulnerable. A shared hosting account can have as many as 30 - 40 other websites sharing the same IP address. You will have no idea who these businesses are or how they operate. this could expose your website to penalties imposed upon the IP address you are using that are not your fault. A shared hosting account can cost from £2 - £10 per month depending upon the company you choose.
2. VPS - A Virtual Private Server. The middle ground for hosting than can cost between £15 - £30 per month, here the only businesses that share your IP address are ones that you or your web developer has added to the VPS. Not only will you know who these businesses are, but you will only be sharing with a maximum of 10 other businesses.
3. Dedicated Server - Top of the league, the detached house of hosting. Dedicated Servers can cost from £90 per month upwards depending upon the specification you require. This is probably overkill for a starter website, but an established eCommerce website with many hundreds of products will almost certainly require a dedicated server.
Our advice is to always start with a VPS. this gives you plenty of flexibility without costing the earth.
The second aspect to consider is where the server should be hosted. If you only do business with your own country, then you should look to find a hosting solution that is located in your own country. You can sign up for a CDN (more on that later) but it isn't necessary if you do not sell or expect involvement overseas. It is our advice to avoid the large hosting companies as they tend to 'tweak' the configuration of their servers that could potentially limit certain things you can do to your website.
How long will it take to build my website?
Another tricky question. When we start any project with a client, we have a briefing session during which we explore everything you are looking for. We in turn, will offer suggestions of how we can do things and we discuss and ultimately agree a plan. Included in the follow up of the briefing meeting we will submit you with our understanding of the project and a timeline of how long we would expect the project to take. It is important to understand that we are both instrumental in ensuring that the timeline is adhered to. We will work on the coding, the technical bits and design and we will expect you to supply comments, content (if agreed) and various other bits of input in a timely fashion. Having said all of this, in our experience a simple website can be completed in about 4 weeks.
Will my website work on mobile devices?
Most definitely. All of the websites we build will be responsive which means that they adjust in size and format to be readable and usable on any screen size.
Can you build eCommerce websites?
Radiant Web have built several eCommerce website of various complexities so we would have no doubt that we will be able to assist you with your requirements.
All sites that are built by Radiant Web are constructed with the client in mind. Not only do we offer full training, but we also provide support and we build each site in a way that makes updating and making small changes very simple and easy to complete by the client. We go through how much input you want with your website during the initial brief and your answers will drive certain aspects of our website construction method.
There are two aspects to Search Engine Optimisation; onsite and offsite. All of the websites we build are fully Onsite SEO optimised. This will mean prudent use of keywords, headings, images and videos. It will also include registering your site with the search engines, constructing sitemaps for their spiders and addressing a myriad of other factors that relate to Onsite SEO including, Schema, Redirects, Broken Links etc.
Off site SEO is more complex and involves many other aspects that all ultimately lead to having quality are authoritative back links to your website. Whilst we will not directly look to enhance your offsite SEO, we will be happy to assist you with writing quality content that will attract the attention of your target market and your peers that should help you to achieve your goals.
Do you write content for websites?
We can assist you with content, but we have found in the past that a fully trained SEO copywriter will be able to deliver you content that will; achieve your goals and targets far quicker. If your budget can extend to it, then we will be happy to offer our advice on who will be best suited to write the content you rqeuire.
Can you help with Social Media and Ads
Most definitely! We have assisted a number of our clients in configuring their Social Media accounts so they all talk nicely with their website and in turn they all keep each other up to date automatically. We have also run ad campaigns in Google and Facebook which have resulted in clients growing their business and increasing profits.
I need a logo can you put something together for me?
Radiant Web can help you with a lot of things, but when we get to logo design, we respectively step away and advise you that as much as we are experts in website, there are numerous graphic designers that are more than proficient at logo design, and it should be in that direction that you look.